Mariah Matthews

Mariah Matthews

MYTHS OF HELICON MOUNTAIN


("Myth is not a distortion of fact, but the womb through which fact must come.", Jane Roberts, THE INDIVIDUAL AND THE NATURE OF MASS EVENTS)

*****

I love Mythology, always have, can't remember when I didn't. My name is Mariah Matthews. I live in the USA, and this blog is about a novel that I'm currently writing, working title: : MYTHS OF HELICON MOUNTAIN.


18 April, 2011

CREATING CHARACTERS for ATALANTA AND THE GOLDEN APPLES

 A new character coming in; I have my work cut out for me!  

I’ve found Minyas’s mother!  She’s one of the 3000 Oceanides with little history except that she was Poseidon’s nurse and her name, Kapheira or Capheira  (Ka-fer-a), means Storm-Breath; related in some way to the Telchines, a family, a class of people, or a tribe, who descended from Thalassa or Poseidon. 


Not sure who Thalassa was (maybe the first Europa) but, in my way of thinking, this could be a class of people who believed in keeping their race pure.  Fits perfectly with my next segment of MYTH where Minyas builds a stone city and fathers three daughters by a red princess in Bithynia. 

First sentence:  (One of Minyas’s brothers speaking) Oh, don’t pay attention to what Mother says.  Every word out of her mouth causes trouble for someone, somewhere.  That’s why Grandfather calls her Storm-breath.  You’ll never please her.  Do as you like and forget it.  Come; let’s see those cracks in the limestone that you talked about  .” 

Last sentence:  (Kafera speaking to Minyas when she sees his latest granddaughter in Orchomenus, and puts a curse on her.)  “I curse you and I curse the children that your spawning in foreign waters brings into this family!”  With that, Minyas’s mother stormed out of the room and left Thessaly forever. 

No comments: